You need precision and control during golf. A pair of gloves will help you as the best possible equipment to perform at your best. Gloves are not just a fashion statement in golf; they serve a specific purpose. So, why do golfers wear gloves?
Mainly, the first and foremost reason is to have a better grip. It helps to handle the golf club in different weather. However, there is more to this. It can also help to prevent the golfer’s hands while playing.
Let’s explore all the benefits of wearing a pair of gloves during your game.
There are several reasons that work behind the golfers wearing gloves. Some of the prominent ones are:
- Improve Grip: The main reason to wear gloves while playing is to improve the grip on the club. Wearing gloves can ensure more traction that prevents slipping during the swing. Also, it ensures precise control, accuracy, and power.
- Prevent Injury: Golfers use gloves to prevent hand injuries. The constant swings can cause blisters and calluses on their hands. So, when they wear gloves, blisters cannot form due to the extra padding.
- Weather Protection: Wearing gloves can help golfers deal with any kind of weather conditions. It keeps the golfer’s hands warm in cold weather and prevents them from sweating during hot and humid weather.
- Better Performance: As the gloves provide a consistent grip on the club, it helps the golfer to perform better shots while improving the overall performance.
Golfers usually wear only one glove because it ensures the required grip and protection for the lead hand. As a golfer needs the lead hand to make the shots, the glove helps to control the club better.
A golfer’s top hand or lead hand works to control the clubface’s angle. Thus, wearing a glove in the top hand ensures the desired swing path and ball flight. As the role of the bottom hand is to provide stability, it doesn’t require a glove’s protection.
Wearing a glove on the top hand helps a golfer to have a better feel of the club while gaining more control. But wearing two gloves may feel uncomfortable during the performance.
Gloves provide extra traction and reduce slippage. As a result, golfers can maintain a better grip while playing. The materials of the gloves also influence the performance.
As golf gloves are made of leather, synthetic materials, or a combination of both, they can increase friction between the glove and the club. That’s why the golfer gets a firm grip that prevents slipping the club in wet or humid conditions.
In addition, during hot or rainy weather, gloves can absorb moisture from the golfer’s hands whether it’s rainwater or sweat. As a result, the club doesn’t slip during the swings. Besides, it also helps the golfer to avoid inconsistent shots and increase accuracy.
Not only that, the glove’s design also helps the golfers to maintain a better grip. The small perforations or holes in the palm and fingers of the gloves allow adequate airflow and keeps the golfer’s hands dry. Moreover, the textured or patterned surface of the gloves also increases the grip on the club.
You have to take proper care of your golf gloves to make them last longer and provide better performance.
Wearing gloves is not a part of the rules. But professional golfers prefer to wear gloves as a common practice. But wearing gloves is more of a matter of personal preference and comfort.
However, wearing gloves in certain weather conditions may benefit the performance of a player.
Yes, there are different types of golf gloves that are meant for different weather conditions. Some of them are:
- All-weather gloves: These gloves like FootJoy Weathersof Golf Glove, are meant to be worn for almost weather conditions, including hot and humid weather, as well as cool and rainy weather. Typically, these gloves are made of synthetic materials. These are well-absorbent, durable, and ensure enough airflow.
- Winter gloves: Winter gloves keeps a golfer’s hands warm and protected in cold weather. The material of the winter gloves is thicker and they come with an additional ventilation system to keep the hands warm.
- Rain gloves: Rain gloves are mainly for use during rainy weather so the wetness of hands doesn’t affect the performance. Also, Rain gloves prevent club-slipping during the shots.
- Heat-resistant gloves: During hot weather, heat-resistant gloves work in favor. They prevent the golfers from sunburn and heat-related injuries. To provide extra comfort, these gloves are made of lightweight, breathable materials that keep the hands cool.
- Sweaty Hand gloves: Some gloves are specially made for the golfers having sweaty hands. These gloves provide extra comfort and reduce slippage. So, by wearing the gloves even with sweaty hands, golfers are able to maintain better control while playing.
Golf gloves are typically made from a variety of materials. The most common ones are leather, synthetic leather, and synthetic materials such as polyester, nylon, and spandex.
Among all these, leather gloves are the most popular because of their longevity. Besides, these gloves provide adequate comfort and ventilation. People also tend to choose synthetic leather gloves that offer similar benefits to leather gloves but are less expensive.
Is it OK to not wear a golf glove?
Yes, wearing golf gloves is more like a personal choice. Whether you wear it or not, it all depends on you. But most professionals prefer to wear gloves due to their comfort and protection. Also, gloves provide additional benefits during the matches.
Do you wear the golf gloves for all shots?
Wearing a golf glove for the shots is a personal choice. So, you can wear a golf glove for all shots according to your preference. Some golfers wear a glove for every shot, while others only wear gloves for certain shots.
How much do golf gloves cost?
The cost of golf gloves can vary depending on the brand, material, and quality. The usual price varies between $5 to $15 for synthetic, regular ones. But the high-end leather gloves cost from $20 to $40 or more due to their quality.
As you asked, why do golfers wear gloves, we have given the answer already. So, now that you know everything about it, choose the one that works for you. Choosing the right material and size will give you an upper hand to maintain your shots swiftly.
Gloves are especially important for you when you are a newbie as they help to control the shots. To have the additional benefits, wearing gloves can work in your favor!