Street legal means that your golf cart is permitted and equipped to be driven on public roads and streets of the state.
Like any other vehicle, your golf cart needs to meet legal requirements and safety standards set by the local, regional, or national authorities for driving on public roadways.
So, how to make golf cart street legal? You can do so if you make some changes to the appearance and add all the safety measures to your golf cart. If your golf cart meets all the safety rules, you are good to go. But it varies upon the state or region you are living in.
No, all golf carts are not street-legal. Some come maintaining all the laws and regulations provided by the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and some don’t. Some of them are only meant for use on private property like golf courses and are not allowed on public streets or roads.
But you can easily make your golf cart street-legal by ensuring a few things that are set by local authorities. Typically, you need to make some changes in the safety features such as headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, rearview mirrors, seat belts, windshield, and a horn.
How To Make Golf Cart Street Legal?
To make your golf cart street-legal, you will need to equip it with specific features and comply with local regulations. Here are the essential boxes to check:
- Golf Cart Lights: The main thing they notice on your golf cart to make it street-legal is light. There are rules for installing a street-legal light kit on your golf cart. This kit typically includes headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and a horn.
- Mirrors: Like any other vehicle, your golf cart requires to have side-view and rear-view mirrors. If you want to drive it in the streets, you need to install the lights to ensure visibility and awareness of your surroundings.
- Windshield: This is for your personal protection from the outside elements while driving. Some areas might require a specific type of windshield, so check local regulations to ensure compliance.
- Seat Belts: It’s a must to include seat belts on all seats of your golf cart if you want to make it street-legal. Like any other vehicle, going without seat belts in your golf cart will result in rules violations.
- Speed Modifications: There are certain speed limits for golf carts to run on the streets. So, you must be aware of the allowed speed limit for street-legal vehicles to run your golf cart in the streets.
- Condition: You need to ensure the good condition of your golf cart to make it street-legal. They don’t accept any applications if the golf cart is not in good working condition.
- Registration: Once you have checked all the physical requirements, you need to register your golf cart for street use. You may need to provide documentation such as proof of ownership, a bill of sale, or other required paperwork. The process varies depending on the rules of different states or regions.
- Obtain Insurance: Some areas may require insurance to make golf carts street-legal. However, it’s always a good idea to secure insurance to avoid any further issues.
Here are some states where you can drive your golf carts legally, but they must meet certain regulations set by the state. The states are as follows:
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
You might think that there’s no need to go through this many hassles to make your golf cart street-legal. But, here are some bright sides if you do so:
- Cost-Effective Transportation: The golf carts are generally electrically powered. As a result, if you want to roam around in the neighborhood, these are the best vehicles due to their efficiency. They have low operating costs and can be recharged at a fraction of the cost of gasoline.
- Eco-Friendly: If you promote a green environment, this is the perfect choice for you. These golf carts produce zero emissions, reducing the carbon footprint and contributing to cleaner air and a healthier environment.
- Reduced Traffic Congestion: Again, due to the small size, they can easily get into any area. This makes these golf carts the best companion to roam around in nearby places without worrying about traffic congestion.
- Parking Ease: Due to the small size, you won’t require a lot of space to park the golf carts. They can be parked anywhere, even in crowded areas where you have limited parking space.
- Quiet And Low-Speed: Street-legal golf carts don’t produce much sound and run on a specific speed limit. This makes them extra safe to drive while you can protect your ears.
- More Accessibility: Golf carts are an outstanding choice to use for elderly individuals or those with mobility challenges. They can easily operate these carts without facing many challenges.
Can you drive a golf cart around the street?
It depends on the local regulations. You can drive a registered, street-legal golf cart in most states with a specific speed limit. But your golf cart needs to pass the rules check to go out in the streets.
How do you make a golf cart street legal in Texas?
To make a golf cart street-legal in Texas, you typically need to equip it with specific safety features such as headlights, taillights, turn signals, horns, rearview mirrors, windshields, and seat belts.
You may also need to register the cart with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and obtain the required permits or licenses for more than two miles trips.
How can I legally use a golf cart in California streets?
To legally use a golf cart on California streets, you must comply with the state and local requirements. Your golf cart needs to have headlights, turn signals, and brake lights and you need to make sure of a certain speed of 20 miles per hour.
How many mph does a golf cart go?
The typical top speed of a golf cart is around 12 and 14 miles per hour. However, some golf carts can be modified for higher speeds, while others may be limited to lower speeds to comply with local regulations.
Understanding how to make golf cart street legal can prepare your golf cart for extensive usage. You can use it to run a few errands or to even visit your neighbors.
Therefore, you can easily do so if you follow our given instructions.